Thursday, September 5, 2013

Surrender with gratitude--Hedwig Lewis

IGNATIAN RIPPLES

Hedwig Lewis


Surrender with gratitude

In the Ignatian Suscipe, I acknowledge that “all that I have and possess,” is God’s gift. “Naked I came into the world and naked I will leave” (Job 1.21). “Thy infinite gifts come to me only on these very small hands of mine” (Tagore). God lavishes his gifts on me moment by moment. Life itself is gift. God’s grace opens up the floodgates of gratitude.
        
A gift remains a gift only as long as I associate it with the giver. If the link is lost, it ceases to be a gift. The vital link with God for all his gifts is GRATITUDE. Ignatius gave top priority to this virtue. To ensure a continuous contact with Giver and gift, he provided a powerful spiritual aid: the Examen of Consciousness, which begins with gratitude (SE 43.2). It focuses not on negativities/sins but on finding God in all His gifts – in pleasing and painful experiences and events, in people. Ultimately I realize that the most precious gift is the creative “presence” of God consistently transforming me into God’s image.

Genuine gratitude, like love, remains an empty word until it overflows into action – in loving service to God and neighbour. “Be gratefull”.


No comments:

Post a Comment